It all began in 1894, when Václav Klement saw reason to complain about shoddy workmanship with his new bicycle. The fairly rude response of the producer prompted Klement to repair bicycles himself, teaming up with cycle mechanic Václav Laurin, since December 1895. Their new outfit started out by making bicycles, before quickly moving onto motorcycles and, in 1905, their first car. Our founders lived by the motto “only the best is good enough for our customers”, a slogan we continue to honour to this day.
Václav Klement was of humble origins. Instead of becoming the village blacksmith, he was presented with an opportunity: he completed his apprenticeship as a bookseller. As a young man, he took over a bookshop in Mladá Boleslav, which he also transformed into a general store, a bicycle shop and sold spare parts for bicycles. His insatiable curiosity, unfettered creativity and good business sense made Klement a great partner for the rather meticulous Laurin.
Václav Laurin did his apprenticeship as a machine fitter. Even afterwards he continued to educate himself and searched for new challenges – this is how he learned to operate steam engines. Laurin settled down in Mladá Boleslav, where he established a bicycle factory with Václav Klement. As an excellent technician and visionary, who could tinker around with an idea, contemplating it to the final detail, he proved to be the ideal counterpart to the enterprising and sometimes even quick-tempered businessman, Klement.